Site Map Icon
RSS Feed icon
May 29, 2017
IAFF Local Newswire
 
Join the Newswire!
Updated: May. 28 (22:45)

LODD Kim West, Nashville Local 140
IAFF 14th District
Grilling Safety
IAFF Local 902
Memorial Day 2017
IAFF Local 902
Memorial Day
IAFF Local 3472
Safety Reminder from MPFFU
IAFF Local 3472
Michigan Department of Health & Human Services
IAFF Local 3472
 
     
Huntington Street Fire
Posted On: Feb 01, 2006

Fire leaves 16 homeless in Brockton

By Jennifer Kovalich, Enterprise staff writer

BROCKTON — The American Red Cross is providing shelter for 16 people who were left homeless Tuesday after an electrical fire at their three-family home on Huntington Street.

No injuries were reported in the 5:11 p.m. fire at 111-113 Huntington St., Deputy Fire Chief George Phillips said.

"The homeowner came home and smelled smoke, and opened the cellar door and heat and smoke came out of the cellar, so she called the Fire Department," Phillips said.

No one else was at home when the fire was discovered, he said. Fourteen adults and two children received assistance from the American Red Cross following the fire. The name of the homeowner was not immediately available Tuesday night.

Phillips said the fire was believed to have started after an electrical short circuit on the first floor of the wood-frame house.

"It actually burned down through the floorboard and dropped some hot ashes into the cellar," Phillips said.

Those hot ashes landed on several cardboard boxes full of clothing, the fire deputy said, spreading the blaze.

There was smoke damage throughout the house, forcing residents in the second- and third-floor apartments to also need shelter through the American Red Cross.

Phillips estimated damages to the house at $40,000.

Assistant wiring inspector Chris Sheehan also responded to the scene. Utility service was turned off to the house.



Brockton Firefighters Local 144
Copyright © 2017, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By UnionActive™

211993 hits since Jan 24, 2006
Visit Unions-America.com!

Top of Page image