By Maria Papadopoulos, Enterprise staff writer
BROCKTON — Ten people were displaced from their Perkins Avenue home early Sunday morning following an electrical fire that began in the attic, a fire deputy said.
No one was injured in the fire at 253 Perkins Ave. that was reported at 12:54 a.m. Sunday.
Fire officials received a 911 emergency call reporting smoke in the 2 1/2-story, wood frame house, said Fire Deputy Chief Timothy Murphy.
When firefighters arrived, smoke was billowing outside the home and there were flames in the attic, Murphy said.
An investigation found old electrical wiring to be the primary cause of the fire, Murphy said.
"There was an electrical short circuit in the ceiling of the floor in the attic," Murphy said. "It started in the electrical wiring in the attic supplying the kitchen and the bathroom in the second floor."
The names of the fire victims were not available Sunday. Murphy said there were seven people displaced from the first floor apartment and three people displaced from the second floor apartment. Four of the occupants were children ranging in age from 4 to 12.
Murphy said the occupants refused assistance from the American Red Cross at the scene.
Firefighters extinguished flames within 20 minutes, Murphy said. He estimated damages at $10,000.
Power and gas was turned off to the home, which also made it uninhabitable following the fire. The city wiring inspector responded, as did the Fire Prevention Bureau.
Firefighters were on scene about two hours with the last piece, of apparatus clearing at 3:14 a.m.
Crews from Squad A, Tower 2, and engine companies 2 and 4 responded.