Fire officials deemed a wood stove and a worn electrical cord as the separate causes of two house fires in the city over the weekend.
No serious injuries were reported in the fires, which caused thousands of dollars in damages to each home on Ash Street and Elsie Road, said Deputy Fire Chief Mark Baker.
At around noon Sunday, firefighters responded to 557 Ash St. for an electrical fire, Baker said.
“They found heavy fire involved in the bedroom and bath area of an addition” to the two-story house, Baker said.
Two people were treated at the scene for minor injuries, he said.
Baker estimated damages at $60,000. The cause of the fire “appears to be a worn extension cord. It was an extension cord that was arcing,” he said.
Engine companies 2 and 5, Squad A, and Ladders 1 and 2 responded to the Ash Street house.
Saturday night, firefighters responded to 80 Elsie Road after receiving a report of fire at the rear of the one-story ranch.
The 6:46 p.m. fire was “caused by hot embers from the wood stove” inside the home, said Baker, who estimated damages at $25,000.
No injuries were reported. Crews extinguished the flames within 15 minutes, Baker said.
Engine companies 3 and 7, Squad A, Tower 1 and Ladder 1 responded to the Elsie Road house, as did the city’s fire prevention bureau.